Thursday 31 July 2014

Brook Cottage Books is thrilled to introduce Ken Magee to the blog with this fantastic guest post. Thanks so much Ken.


When I decided that I wanted to be a full time author, I had to abandon a number of my other lifelong dreams. For example, I gave up my ambition to be a Premier League footballer, an admiral of industry (which is like a captain of industry, only better), an astronaut, a world class poker player and a film producer. All those aspirations had to be sacrificed.

Why did I give up such heady dreams? Answer, because I wanted to make the world a better and safer place.

Most folk believe that technology rules their lives. They’re wrong. Dark conspiracies and ancient magic actually dominate this planet. My one mission in life is to open people’s eyes to that fact.

My name is Ken Magee and I tell people I write contemporary fantasies which blend adventure and humour with technology and magic. My books live under the tagline ‘ancient magic meets the Internet’. I pretend that they’re works of fiction, because I’m afraid of the powerful people behind the conspiracies… I’m hoping a ‘fiction’ writer will slip under their radars.

Up until the point when I discovered about the frightening plot which deliberately caused the recent global financial meltdown, I’d led a fairly normal life. I worked for many years in the computer industry in roles ranging from programming through to sales. I got married and started a family. In the middle of it all, I served in the Naval Reserve... which was hard work, but fun. All pretty normal. Then in 2010, I decided to make time to finish the book I’d started many years earlier (writing not reading). I would have finished it sooner, but life got in the way. It’s finished now (the book, not life).

The book is called Dark Tidings and it’s book #1 of a series. The Black Conspiracy and A Darker Shade of Black complete the Dark Tidings trilogy.



So what is Dark Tidings about? Well, here’s the blurb…

What happens when ancient magic meets the internet? One thing is certain, modern life will never be the same again.

A thousand years ago, a young thief, Tung, and a disgraced wizard, Madrick, are thrust together in an executioner’s dungeon. In the darkness, Madrick reveals an incredible secret about a legendary spell. The great spell helps them escape their prison cell... and eventually their century.

Catapulted into the present day, their lives collide with Michael, a computer hacker who plans to destroy the world’s largest bank. But sinister people are tracking their every move and they will stop at nothing to steal their spell.

The book has had some smashing reviews. Here are some extracts from three of them:

‘This is a super book. It's intelligent, extremely funny and very relevant to what's going on in the world today. It explains, for example, why the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer.’

‘Imagine the worlds of Terry Pratchett and Dan Brown coming together - Dark Tidings provides a witty and clever read which will appeal to all readers.’

‘Dark Tidings was a hilarious and enjoyable tale that took me on a rollercoaster journey from the fantastical middle ages to the modern day. It was exciting, completely compelling and had me laughing from the first page right up to the end.’

I know some of these reviews might make you think that Dark Tidings could be a work of fiction… I’ve already told you, that’s the way I want it to seem. The sinister people mentioned in the blurb are in fact some of the richest and most powerful people on our planet, I don’t want to anger them. These people frighten me.

A word of warning, don’t be seen reading Dark Tidings in public. It might put you in danger too. But do read it if you know what’s good for you. Join my crusade to free the world from the grasp of evil men… or maybe just enjoy a thrilling adventure and have a good laugh while you’re at it!

Before I drop out of sight again, I’d like to thank JB for giving me this opportunity to promote my book. She’s put herself in the firing line to share this secret… will you take a chance too?

  

- Copyright © 2013-2014 Brook Cottage Books - Powered by Blogger - Graphics & Blog Customization by JellydogDesign