Wednesday 15 January 2014




Harriet Lawson's day really doesn't turn out quite as she expected. Coming home to a wrecked flat and a missing boyfriend wasn't her idea of a good day! Harriet soon finds out that her boyfriend has one or two secrets that involve money owed to a gangster family and she has the responsibility to get the money owed before her boyfriend loses body parts! An offer from a wealthy man may just offer Harriet the opportunity to pay off her debts and get her life back on track! All she has to do is get engaged to him in order for him to inherit a large sum of money! What could possibly go wrong!? Famous last words! Harriet's life is soon spiraling out of control and suddenly her nice simple arrangement becomes the most cringe-worthy and difficult situation that takes Harriet well out of her comfort zone. As if things couldn't get any more complicated, cue one handsome doctor who gets Harriet's heart racing and Harriet's own nutty family!


Let me first start this review by saying that I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! Its totally hilarious and the story is amazing! The characters are all likeable in their own way, even the 'baddies' and at times the book went in directions I was just not expecting! All this plus romance too! What more could you ask for?! There were lots of 'laugh out loud' moments throughout and I just love Harriet. She is brave, bolshy and her life is like a carry on movie! A fantastically written book. This is one of those books that you just know would make a fantastic movie! I couldn't put it down. There were incidents in the story that had me cringing with embarrassment for Harriet, and times when I wanted to punch a few of the smarmy characters. I'd highly recommend this book. I think I am now a Lynda Renham fan!!

*This book was previously titled - The Valentine Present and Other Diabolical Liberties.

One Response so far.

  1. How could you not pick it up with that title?? I think I will having read your fab review too, Jonty. Thanks for sharing!!

- Copyright © 2013-2014 Brook Cottage Books - Powered by Blogger - Graphics & Blog Customization by JellydogDesign